Northshore School District Attendance Policy
Regular attendance is essential for success in school; therefore, absences shall be excused only for necessary and important reasons. Valid excuses for absences are outlined in School Board Policy 3122. A Parent/Guardian should notify the school prior to the absence/tardy with a call, note or email that his/her child is unable to attend or will be late to school. The call, note or email must address the date/time and reason for the absence. RCW 28A.225.010 Excused absences shall not be permitted if deemed to cause a serious adverse effect upon the student’s educational progress, unless the student is physically or mentally unable to attend school and the parent has provided documentation of the student’s inability to attend.
Absences not excused within 2 weeks of the absence are automatically considered "unexcused." This status cannot be changed after this 2 week period.
Canyon Creek Elementary will adhere to state law by following the Becca Bill and its provisions for unexcused absences.
The Becca Bill requires unexcused absences to be processed in the following manner:
- Inform parents in writing after one unexcused absence in one month.
- Schedule a parent conference after two unexcused absences in one month.
- Enter into a formal agreement with the student and parent regarding attendance or file a truancy petition with Juvenile Court if a student has five unexcused absences in a month.
- File a truancy petition with Juvenile Court if a student has seven unexcused absences in a month or ten unexcused absences in a year.
- File a contempt motion if a student is not in compliance with a court order resulting from a truancy petition.
Public schools are held accountable for learning according to district, state and federal guidelines. Our foremost job is to make sure all students are provided with a rich learning experience. The teaching schedule at Canyon Creek is tightly packed with little room for alterations to accommodate extended student absences. Classroom teachers are rarely able to supply make-up work that adequately replaces the missed learning experiences during extended absences. In addition, the conversation held between teachers and students, as well as among students, cannot be replicated. In the event your student will be absent for three or more days unrelated to an illness, administration at Canyon Creek requires a pre-approved absence request form.